If you have never been on holiday in the mountains before, you may be unsure of what you need to pack to take with you, and what would be helpful to pack to take with you.
There alse may be some specifics that you need to bring with you if you would like to partake in some of the activities in the Hochkönig and Salzburg region.
We give you some ideas of the types of things you should be packing for your holiday in the mountains below!
A summer holiday in the mountains
If you are coming for a spring, summer, or winter holiday in the mountains, the weather can vary immensely. In summer, the temperature can get up to the late 30 degress centrigrade, and it can also rain (there is a reason why the meadows are so green!).
In early Spring, or late Autumn, it can snow at higher levels, so warm clothing is advised! Also, if you are hiking higher up in the mountains, the weather can change quickly, so please ensure you pack your bags with the appropriate attire!
We suggest you bring the following:
- Hiking clothes for warm weather eg shorts and T shirts
- Hiking clothes for cooler weather eg hiking pants and jumpers. Hiking pants that can turn into shorts with a zip are very handy if the weather is changeable, or if you are planning on hiking high in the mountains.
- Waterproof jacket
- Warm jacket if travelling in Spring/ Autumn, or if you are planning on visiting Eisriesenwelt (largest ice case in the world), or the salt mines, as you spend a long time in the cold for these visits
- Pyjamas to keep you warm at night!
- Hiking socks
- Swimming costume – many guests like to go a swim after a long day out!
- Comfortable clothes for going out for a meal in the evening
We would recommend to bring the following with you
- Hiking boots or shoes, preferably waterproof – if you are planning on doing some longer hikes (for example up to the Matrashaus at the top of the Hochkönig), we recommend some sturdy hiking boots
- Sandals / lightweight shoes – for walking around the village, down to the swimming pool
- Swimming sandals- if you are planning on swimming in any of the lakes in the area, we would recommend you wear some swimming sandals
There are many accessories you could of course bring with you on holiday in the mountains, but we outline the most important below:
- Toys and teddies!
- Favourite pillows
- Cards and games – we do have some playing cards and games available for guests, but you may want to bring your own!
- Sun protection cream
- Hiking sticks
- Maps / GPS / compass
- Refillable water bottle
- Mobile phone and charger
- Hat, gloves and scarf
Don’t forget the most important things – travel documents so that you can arrive here safe adn sound! These include the following:
- Drivers licence
- Credit cards and cash
Health insurance cards/document(s)
Travel insurance information
Reservations and itineraries (print them and save them electronically for easy access)
Hotel and/or tour contact information
Transportation tickets (plane, train, bus, car, etc.)
Emergency contacts and important addresses
You will find some basics in the apartments in Haus Schneeberg such as salt, pepper, sugar etc.
We also provide washing up liquid and sponge, hand soap, cleaning spray, 2 toilet rolls.
If you are travelling by car, you may want to bring some other consumables with you. If you are tarvelling by plane, all can be brought in the local supermarket.
Things to consider:
- Shampoo, shower gel and conditioner
- Toothpaste and toothbrush
- Any creams and lotions
- Any favourite teas and coffees
- Cooking oil
- Herbs you enjoy cooking with
A winter holiday in the mountains
Temperatures vary in the winter from down to minus 20 degrees, to up to 10 degrees in March, so you need to wrap up warm!
We would suggest bringing the following items of clothing for a winter stay with us:
- Warm snow boots or waterproof hiking boots
- Gloves, hat and scarf
- Ski jacket and pants
- Leggings and thermal wear to wear under ski clothing
- Extra layers for when it is cold
- Warm pants and jumpers for going out in the evening
- Goggles, helmet, skis, poles and boots, if you have them, You can hire skis, poles, boots and helmets in resort as well.
- Any other ski equipment you have such as touring equipment, transceivers, shovels, cross country skis and boots, showshoes. A lot of these you can also hire in resort.
- Sunglasses and sun cream
- Most of the accessories, travel documents and consumables as per above
- Don’t forget to ensure you have insurance for skiing. It can be very expensive if you are taken off the mountain by a helicopter, and you are not insured!
- We have sledges you can borrow to try out the many sledge runs in the area
If you need any further information before your stay with us, on what to bring, please contact us.
If you are interested in booking a stay with us, click below!